Whether you’re trying to get yourself into some of your old favorite clothes or you’re just looking to become a new better healthier version of yourself… It seems as if it is the season to get into shape. There has been a lot of buzz recently from friends and family about joining a new gym or just trying to get in a better lifestyle in general. That being said I figured it would be a good time to post some tips that have helped me at various points in my life to shed the weight I needed and get the body I wanted. And it really isn’t as hard as you think.
- Less soda, more water. (In fact if you can get rid of soda or sugary beverages in general it will be one of the biggest benefits to you. I like to stick to water or low calorie beverages such as crystal light.)
- Less alcohol, more tea. (Alcohol is an easy way to pound unnecessary weight on your body, much like soda. If you want to drink, stick to hard liquor and if you need to mix it, again use low calorie beverages such as crystal light. And if you can, keep drinking down to one night a week. Tea itself has many benefits to the body. I’ve substituted a nightcap of alcohol for a nice cup of tea.)
- Less sugar, more fruits. (Fruits are a perfect way to get that sugar fix you want, in a much healthier way. And after a month of getting out of the habit of consuming candy or other fatty desserts, you wont even miss them.)
- Less meat, more vegetables. (Veggies are much more filling due to providing more nutrients the body actually needs, protein is great too, so don’t cut it out, just cut it down. Try to stick to white meat like chicken or fish and save the steaks for a special day.)
- Less driving, more walking. (It’s a no brainer to say that the more you move, the more you burn. Simple changes like taking the stairs instead of the elevator will make all the difference.)
- Less worry, more sleep. (The more negative thoughts you have, the further your goals seem to be making it easier to give up. Make sure to get plenty of sleep, you need to heal the muscles you’ve been tearing to make them stronger. And sleep helps to keep your mind straight to keep you focused.)
- Less anger, more laughter. (Keep your spirits high, and let the little things go. Get to the gym with a friend if you can and make it fun instead of work.)
- Less words, more action. (Talk is cheap people. Talk the talk or walk the walk. The sooner you start doing all of the things you say you’re going to do, the better you will feel and the more successful your results will be.
As far as losing weight is concerned, cardio is the most important thing you can do. Stay away from the weights unless you are using a small amount to help aid in a cardio exercise. Run, and run everyday. You don’t have to be a speed demon to run. Find a pace that works for you that you can maintain for a 30 minute session. If it gets to be a bit too much, tone it down a few notches but make sure you aren’t walking. The only time you should be walking is the warm up or cool down. It’s also ok to switch it up every once and awhile and use an elliptical or bicycle machine, but be aware that running will give you the best results. Don’t forget to stretch, it’s arguably one of the most important steps.
You should also have a good diet that works for you, but be aware you can still lose weight and eat whatever you want. I repeat you do not have to sacrifice the foods you love to lose weight. The biggest problem with this is proportions, people eat more than they should. If you want some chips, fine, but grab a small handful instead of half the bag. If you’re still hungry grab something else like some carrots instead of continuing to fill up on fatty foods. Grab a small cheeseburger from the restaurant with a water and maybe a salad or small fry, not a big mac supersized with fries and a coke. If you’re still hungry when you get home, grab something else with nutritional value. Change your eating habits, not the foods you eat.
Make sure to treat yourself. One day out of the week have one meal that you want or are craving, also take that day off of the gym for a day of rest, though make sure to still stretch to get yourself ready for that next workout, it also helps with the recovery process of your muscles. You need to take a day to reward yourself for the hard work you’re doing. But don’t get complacent, make sure you work harder that next day for it.
The most important thing you need to remember while losing weight is consistency and time. You just have to keep going everyday because it is a long process that shows results the more you do it. So don’t give up if a month from now you’re not where you want to be. As long as you’re making progress and moving forward, keep going. You will get there.
I hope these tips help and good luck getting your clothes to fit you or becoming the fit you that you want to be.